If you look at the ingredients list and it’s a bunch of words you don’t even know… neither does your body (x)
Just like if you break apples and grapefruit down into their chemical components, I’m willing to bet that most people wouldn’t recognize the “ingredients” either. It’s a bunch of words you don’t even know:
Don’t use these scare tactics - Chemicals aren’t inherently bad. Literally everything is made up chemicals. Trust me, your body knows what niacin is. It knows how to digest fructose and calcium sulfate. Even if you only consume the most basic and “real” foods that are pulled directly off the vine, you’re still ingesting a series of chemical compounds that you probably can’t pronounce. That’s okay.
Despite that, there’s a difference between eating natural chemicals and artificially produced chemicals and you can’t really dispute that natural ingredients are better for you
Yes I can.
Arsenic is a naturally occurring element that is present within many whole foods, yet it can kill you if ingested in significant doses. Poison ivy is natural, but it sure gives people a nasty rash. Peanuts are natural, but a solid percentage of the population is deathly allergic to them. Asparagus berries can make you incredibly sick. Even just looking at the example given in the first post, we have to consider apple seeds - They contain a small amount of amygdalin, which is a cyanogenic glycoside. It is very possible to eat enough seeds to cause a fatal overdose.
Compare it to artificial chemicals like the fluoride complex that is added into many water systems in order to prevent tooth decay. When we drink water, it’s presence is a huge benefit to the population. By the time you drink enough for the dose to hurt you, you’d already have experienced water poisoning. There’s also d-ascorbic acid, a synthetic version of vitamin C that works as an antioxidant. Don’t forget about iodized salt, which works to prevent iodine deficiencies (which effects roughly two billion people around the world and is currently the leading preventable cause of intellectual and developmental disabilities). From the first post’s example, enriched flour is the first cereal ingredient listed: This allows the consumer to get a serving of niacin, iron, folic acid and thiamin. These vitamins are a necessary part of a daily balanced diet, but if we only stuck with naturally produced foods, the average consumer would miss out on the full amount needed. This is called food fortification and it allows many people (especially those under the poverty line) to consume all their daily vitamins and minerals without overextending themselves and their budget.
At the end of the day:
——-> “Natural” does not inherently mean “healthy” or “good.”
——-> “Artificial” does not inherently mean “bad.”
No one here is arguing that the above posted breakfast cereal is inherently and always going to be “better” for you than an apple. That would be ridiculous. But it’s also silly to say that an apple is automatically better just because it isn’t man made (which most sort of are, considering the history of orchard cultivation and grafting, but that’s for another post). What I’m saying here is that this “Chemicals are bad! Natural is good!” method of thinking is such a simplistic and dumbed-down way of looking at food. Don’t label foods as good or bad for everyone just because your eyes glaze over at any ingredient list longer than two syllables.
Use technology and medical advances to your advantage! You don’t have to blindly eat what you find in nature anymore. We’re beyond that stage of civilization - Don’t let science frighten you.
And to go even further with the “some people are inherently allergic to peanuts” stuff, by erasing everything we have learned about foods like their chemical composition, people are at risk. Not just for death, but for quality of life— My girlfriend has a fructose malabsorbtion problem and some fruits and vegetables make her ill. However, she CAN eat these foods to some capacity: in some cases, cooking can break down the fructose into glucose enough to tip the threshold for where she gets sick. In other cases, she can eat them if she eats an equal amount of other food.
But if she doesn’t know what’s in each food she eats, she is at risk of getting sick— even for days afterward. What are the most common culprits? Not high-fructose corn syrup, which is almost always clearly marked on our handy Nutrition Facts.
It’s unmarked fruit juice, sometimes listed under “natural flavors” or “fruit sugar” or “natural sweetening” as a sweetener in items that proudly proclaim “All-natural!” or “Chemical-free!”
Another culprit is sometimes honey, which actually has nearly the same composition as high-fructose corn syrup. Maple sugar can be risky as well.
By not identifying that these things are in fact made of molecules, which have effects on the human body, harm is done to real people. All for the fantasy that things produced by a plant or a bee are magically better or aren’t made of matter or something else inane.
Chemical =/= carcinogen
Please recognise chemophobia and destroy it
I love everything about this.
so basically its this awful convention (if you can even call it that) that a few people from tumblr decided to create; and now everyone is making jokes about it because it was really really sad
Dashcon: what happened
A list of Dashcon’s problems
a committee head who quit on Dashcon as a case study for awful nerd organization
Dashcon Is Embarrassing, And Here’s Why
Dashcon attendee viewpoints
Dashcon Legality Issues
Dashcon Schedule: note the strange ESL descriptions, their shittiness
DashCon Disaster – Welcome to Night Vale Walks Out & More
comment on people’s reactions to Dashcon Debacle
WTNV on pulling out of Dashcon
What Dashcon admins say about WTNV pulling out
The poor poor people who seem to have put together a thoughtful panel
Dashcon Admins explain $17,000, claim was not hoax
Admin team responds to criticism
$17,000 ball pit
a response re: making sure projects you crowdfund are legit
Dashcon - Play-by-play of the almost-cancel
The Baker Street Babes on leaving Dashcon early
A video of an admin speaking on near-cancelation
So if you didn’t hear about the Dashcon $17,000 debacle…
Dashcon 2015 Early Registration
Tumblr’s Dashcon Staff on negative feedback
awkward ballpit footage
Dashcon We are the Champions
Another explanation of Dashcon’s issues
What can you buy with $17,000?
fandom wank coverage
THE BALLPIT IS UNCLEAN
Is the dashcon a legit thing that’s going to happen? My friends and I are iffy on it. (:
TLDR: Yeah there have been some serious issues but people are really being asshats about it.
What’s so bad about Dashcon?
There you go, a list of links. All explaining the shittiness of dashcon.
notice: links are not mine, they’re from gehayi’s post. go check her blog out!
Download over 250 art books for free here
Ran across these links at http://www.peopleofcolororganize.com/
Indigenous Feminism Without Apology, by Andrea Smith
Anti-Colonial Responses to Gender Violence, by Andrea Smith
Not an Indian Tradition: The Sexual Colonization of Indian Peoples, by Andrea Smith
Better Dead Than Pregnant: The Colonization of Native Women’s Health, by Andrea Smith
Women and the Indian Act, by Deborah Simmons
Nuu-Chah-Nulth Struggles Against Sexual Violence, an Interview with Na’cha’uaht & Chiinuuks
An Indigenous Perspective on Feminism, Militarism, and the Environment, by Winona LaDuke
Zapatismo and the Emergence of Indigenous Feminism, by Aida Hernandez Castillo
Conquest: Sexual Violence and the American Indian Genocide, by Andrea Smith
Other Important Resources
Settlers: The Mythology of the White Proletariat, by J. SakaiCredit: While I found this on POCO, it came along with the following credit to Jessica Yee for originally coming up with the list.derived from a list put created by Jessica Yee for BITCH Magazine, for others to take a look a lot, critique and/or otherwise contribute their thoughts. It’s made up of a mix of books and articles, both academic and non-academic, which are available on line.
rice cookers are straight up magic, okay? they always cook rice perfectly, always (i mean, as long as us lowly humans don’t get the water to rice ratio wrong…) but they can also cook so much more than that! for example:
- frittatas (here’s another recipe just to double the awesome)
- rice pudding
- chocolate lava cake
- jalapeno bread
- "stir fried" cabbage
- vegetable hot cake
and that’s just a few of the recipes out there! sure, crock pots are the versatility hero of the culinary world, but rice cookers are SUPER easy clean up, and come in super cute colors like the one above (seriously, can someone buy me that one for my femme dream house?).
so, here’s to you, rice cooker, you unsung hero. you will always hold a special place in our kitchens.
I swear I was just looking for rice cooker recipes. This roooocks
Hello friends! Many of you have felt very upset lately. This is a list of resources you can keep track of to try to cheer up. I hope it helps!
- Anxiety Self Help Masterpost
- Calming Manatee
- Cute yahoo answers
- Guided relaxation
- The thoughts room
- The quiet place
- Have a hug!
- Healthy alternatives masterpost
- Learn a new hobby masterpost
- Play Tetris
- Breathing exercises
- Go somewhere new
- Emergency compliment
- Having a bad night
- Talking about mental health
- Relax playlist
- Another relaxing playlist
- Reward yourself with kittens while you write!
- Stress analyst
- Coffee shop sounds (Help corgi found this most effective with calm music in the background!)
- Nature sounds
- More nature sounds
- Drown out other noises (more sounds!)
- If you like the sound of rain
- Draw something silky!
- Cut something (blood tw, woof!)
- Play some more cute games
- Break something (loud noise)
- Paint a nebula
- Self injury recovery
- Vent online here or here.
- Have an mobile application for anxiety!
If you or someone you know is at risk for suicide:
Woof! This list will be updated as often as I can. I hope you all feel better my friends!
Do Not Link allows skeptics to ethically link to content we wish to criticize, without unintentionally promoting it.
So you know how when you criticise an article on a horrible site like the Daily Mail and link so people can see the original page, search engines see that as “someone is interested in this page,” and activity by people criticising the page looks just like activity by people liking it? So the horrible site goes up the Google search results? And the horrible site goes “whooo, lots of hits and links, guess that article was popular” and decides to create more horrible articles like it?
When you’re linking to horrible sites, use DNL: from the user end it works like tinyurl or bit.ly, but it doesn’t give the website attention.
This is GREAT.
For those of us looking to try growing mushrooms as pretty as the ones at smugtownmushrooms, but not having very much experience in the matter (as far as choosing substrates, making sure everything is sterile), Mushroom Growing Kits are a good way to get a grow or two under your belt before going the 100% DIY route.
Various Mushroom-Growing Kits:
- Bioluminenscent Mushroom Kit
- Oyster Mushroom Kit
- Phoenix Oyster Mushroom Kit
- Pearl Oyster Mushroom Kit
- Espresso Oyster Mushroom Kit
- Pink Oyster Mushroom Kit
- Blue Oyster Mushroom Kit
- Shitake Mushroom Kit / Shitake Mushroom Log
- Portabella Mushroom Growing Kit
- Enotikake Mushroom Kit
- Reishi Mushroom Kit
- Nameko Mushroom Kit
- Maitake Mushroom Kit
- Turkey Tail Mushroom Kit
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom Growing Kit
- Shaggy Mane Mushroom Growing Kit
- Button Mushroom Growing Kit
- Pioppino Mushroom Growing Kit
- Morel Habitat Kit
I have some questions for you, actually.
- Deaf Black man is stabbed out of racism when his sign language is mistaken for a gang sign
- Anti-Islam posters run free on the train to reinforce racism anti-Islamic sentiments and Islamaphobia
- Oops! Chicago police raids the wrong house, holds an 11 month old at gunpoint to raise their hand, kills their dog all because of racism and assuming it was a crackhouse! Oopsies
- Let’s take it overseas! Black people in England and Wales are 7 times more likely to be stopped by police than white people. Asian people are twice as likely
- People assuming Native american baby names are actually Native and have any meaning to any ethnic group when they don’t
- Here’s a whole collection of people saying racist stereotyping homogenizing disgusting stuff about Natives
- People protesting (Idle No More) defending Native people’s humanity are attacked with violence
- White kids think it’s totally okay and normal to photograph themselves lynching a Black baby doll like an effigy
- Member of the most glorified band in the world Paul McCartney made a racist white supremacist song called ‘No Pakistanis’ and everyone still glorifies him as a good person
- Racism in actual political campaign in Massachusetts against a Native runner portraying her name and image in a racist stereotypical inappropriate manner
- Indian Sikh school students protest for students who are banned from wearing their turbans in public schools in France
- Here’s a graph of the statistic that approx every 28 hours an African American is extrajudicially executed in the US
- NYPD profiling and targeting LGBT*Q People of Color
- Black students (especially boys and children with disabilities) face more and harsher punishments in public schools and are being pushed out of schools into the criminal justice system.
- Black male incarceration has jumped 500% from 1986 to 2004
- Albany police: SWAT literally uses a poor Black neighborhood to train in because they say it’s ‘realistic’
- The audio recording from a young man of color of a NYPD stop and frisking him based solely how he looks calling him a “FUCKING MUTT”
- Incarceration rates by ethnicity
- All of this fucking cultural appropriation
Whoa, it does not stop
- Her Innocent Brother Was Made Into a Bombing Suspec because of racism: Sunil Tripathi’s Sister Speaks
- Wall Street Journal refers to a Chinese athlete as being “fueled with rice” even though they don’t title articles like that for white athletes
- Black Woman Pretends To Be White And Job Offers Skyrocket
- African-American man says NYPD made him rap before freeing him
- Woman Says She Called 911 for an Ambulance for Her Fiancé, Cops Came and Shot Him Instead
- A Black man holding a wallet is more likely to be shot by the police than a White man holding a gun.
- ESPN makes a racist mockery of Native americans on national TV on purpose. I don’t see any consequences for their actions
- Students of color At University of Texas Attacked By An Epidemic Of ‘Bleach Bombs’
- Racism Linked to Adult-Onset Asthma in Black Women
- Black firefighter waves to white police man and is handcuffed and on the ground
- Most of Onondaga County is disputed land, which legally belongs to the Onondaga Nation. It has been held illegally by New York State for hundreds of years, despite the Treaty of Fort Stanwix which means that the Onondaga Nation is the legal owner. Racists respond with “they didn’t work for this land it’s mine” illogically
- Disparities in the workforce exist as Black women and Latino men work more than white women and white men but the racial wage gap still exists
- Oakland: Study finds racial bias in boys’ arrests targeting guess who? Black young men, of course!
- How is it that 58% of prisoners are Black and Latino if 70% of crime committed here is done by white people?
- Forty Percent of White Americans Are Lying About Their ‘Black Friend’
- From Mosques to Soccer Leagues: Inside the NYPDâs Secret Spy Unit Targeting Muslims, Activists
- When whites were presented with an argument against the death penalty or three strikes that emphasized the racial bias of the policy, they became more (not less) supportive of capital punishment and three strikes laws.
- Who’s surprised that people were racist and needed an explanation of how not to homogenize and trivialize culture on Dia de los Muertos?
- African-Americans More Likely To Receive Lower-Quality Kidneys, Study Finds
- Islamophobia towards (obviously innocent) paying customer: Garland restaurant contaminated her drink, Muslim woman says
- Famous actor Brandon T. Jackson is called racial slurs on his flight and told “I don’t care if you’re Obama’s son” then questioned by the police and restricted from flying and left alone to look for a hotel himself for being the victim of racism on US Airways
- Rob Brown, famous star of Treme is racially profiled and arrested at Macy’s for purchasing a watch with his own money and his own credit card and accused of fraud
- Kayla Philips tries to purchase a bag at Barney’s and is also accused of fraud at Barney’s because they didn’t believe she could afford it
- White people literally cannot emphasize with Black people’s pain and thus they are given less pain medication and little to no sympathy in painful situations.
Racism against White people does not exist. Me calling you a cracker might hurt your feelings but it could never oppress you. Was never used to oppress you. Your history is being Oppressor, not the oppressed.
Meanwhile you calling me a racial slur only enforces the engraved white is right superiority that is literally seeped in everything, from beauty standards to a human value and innocence. All around the world.
You have a million and one links provided for you. Now go learn.
Hi hello, no offence but this is almost complete bullshit.
*And to think otherwise is ignorant.
And it’s sad that I have to actually tell people of this.
LMAOOOOOO you shouldn’t be saying a goddamn thing because you’re ignorant as fuck.
But I just loveeee when White People jump on a post talkin bout SAVE THE WHITES WE Is OPPREssed and all they can fucking do is throw a fucking dictionary definition which was, mind you, WRITTEN by old ass fucking white people, and try to use it to negate all the fucking oppression and death we PoC face every fucking day on a social and systemic level whilst simultaneously ignoring all the fucking history and how our today is structured on the back of the past. Are you that pathetic that you think some vague incidents of a tourist being beaten up and a dictionary definition negates all of my sources above? Hell. Did you even look at a goddamn thing written above?! You didn’t. Cuz then you wouldn’t have the need to humiliate yourself on the internet. Like if you’d clicked one link, just one link, you woulda been a pinch less ignorant. But you’re being willfully ignorant because your white tears are more important that black and brown bodies who suffer all around the fucking world because of Whitey White oppression. Like face it. You have all the power EVERYWHERE.
Cuz it’s hard to see racism when you’re White.
Excuses White People Make:
- 28 Common Racist Attitudes and Behaviors Debunked
- White Inventor Argument
- What about the Irish?
- What about other European immigrants that experienced discrimination?
- Tone Policing*
Reverse Racism Debunked Resources:
- Reverse Racism, or How the Pot Got to Call the Kettle Black
- The Undergirding Factor is POWER: Toward an Understanding of Prejudice and Racism
- Prof. Robert Jensen Discusses Racism, White Supremacy and White Privilege
- Why there’s no such thing as “Reverse Racism”
- Examining the Myth of “Reverse Racism”
- Racism against white people does not exist.*
- Reverse Racism is Not Real PP*
Definition of Racism:
Bonus!!!1! A choice link from me to you
Like should I have even provided these links? You’re not gonna read them. So why bother? But really I don’t even give a fuck right now. You’re wrong and you’re irrelevant. Bye Ms. Privileged!
I’m just linking white folk to this from now on. Done.
I’ve touched on this topic a few times. People from academia have a hard time understanding why I would deign to respond to some of the comments and messages that I receive that are obviously unfounded attacks on my credibility.
It’s hard for people to believe that the rather decorated professors that participated in the round table discussion of this blog on NPR, and various “trolls” from the bowels of other websites like Reddit who prefer to practice debunkery free from fear of rebuttal, can possibly exist in the same universe.
What happens when the twain do, in fact, meet?
Well, when this Black professor dared to state that institutional racism exists in a college classroom, three white, male students repeatedly disrupted her classroom, and then filed a complaint, with the result that the professor was formally reprimanded.
Too many people are underestimating the the relevance and viciousness of these people who are all-too-often dismissed as “trolls”. And when you dismiss that, you’re dismissing a threat to both truth in higher education as well as a threat to the lives and livelihoods of real people and educators out there right now trying to make a difference.
- The Risks of Teaching About Racism by Tressie McMillan Cottom
- We Teach Racism, Sexism, and Discrimination in Schools by Nicholas Ferroni
- Resources for College Educators: Teaching About Racism in the Classroom
- Children are Not Colorblind: How Young Children Learn Race
- 5 Tips for Talking about Racism with Kids
- Kids Aren’t Colorblind. Your Conversations With Them Shouldn’t Be Either
- Trayvon Martin and “The Talk” Black Parents Have With Their Teenage Sons by K. J. Dell’Antonia